[FRR announce] 7.1 Release

Quentin Young qlyoung at cumulusnetworks.com
Tue Jul 30 18:02:19 EDT 2019

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the 7.1 release of FRRouting!
[https://github.com/FRRouting/frr/releases]

As a reminder, Debian/Ubuntu packages are available here:
[https://deb.frrouting.org/]

Note: this version is numbered "7.1” primarily due to feedback from users about
the major version number increasing too rapidly. It has the same amount of
ongoing development as the usual FRR release cycle.

User-visible changes since the 7.0 release:

General:
 - There is a new, work-in-progress gRPC northbound configuration interface
   plugin.

zebra:
 - The "table NNN" command was removed since it has been broken for a long
   time.
 - The dataplane interface modularization and multithreading work is
   progressing steadily.
 - IPv6 Router Advertisements sent by zebra can now have RFC 8106 DNS options
   added to them.

bgpd:
 - EVPN can now be configured in non-default VRFs.
 - RFC 8212 — a default "deny" policy for eBGP sessions — can now be selected.

Aside from these, a huge amount of fixes and ongoing development is happening,
as usual. Thank you to all contributors!

Finally, for those inquiring about our release cycle, it is documented here:
[http://docs.frrouting.org/projects/dev-guide/en/latest/workflow.html#development-release-cycle]

We hope to roll our next release in the October timeframe.

Cheers,

- Quentin