[dev] BFD

Donald Sharp sharpd at cumulusnetworks.com
Wed Apr 5 12:27:53 EDT 2017

Inline...

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Raymond Burkholder <ray at oneunified.net> wrote:
>> There is nothing preventing you from downloading the PTM code and using it?
>
> This is the code?  https://github.com/CumulusNetworks/ptm
>
> From that page:   "It takes a graphviz-DOT specified network cabling plan (something many operators already generate) and couples it with runtime information derived from LLDP to verify that the cabling matches the specification."
>
> Can some of this be stripped out?  Or will the daemon run without this input?  The documentation is a little sparse.  But I did get an idea of how it works from the power point presentation.  The presentation indicates the possibility for running without input.
>
> So... if I build and run that daemon, it will activate the bfd checks in frr's bgp and ospf daemons?

That is my understanding.  I believe people have gotten this to work.
It is a bit outside of what I have had to deal with so far.

>> I mean BFD in frr it is not feature request for backlog. So it may be worthwhile to increase the priority.
>
> Please count this as a vote for the feature request.
>
> An alternate additional option would be to make it work with the openvswitch's bfd implementation.  You can always turn around and say 'pull requests welcome' ;-)

Pull Requests are welcome from anyone/everyone.  If I do have
something to request out of this though is to run by your design with
the Technical Meeting or send an email here for discussion :)

>> In some cases folks choose bird, because BFD is supported.
>
> Frr looks good because of the vrf, mpls, and l2 advertisement tie-ins.  So I'm not sure if bird is a suitable substitute for this.  I havn't looked at their feature set in a while.
>

>> > I would like to eventually find time to abstract it a bit more and
>> > allow different solutions.  Just not been high on my list of things to
>> > do.
>
> If I may ask, what is the current high profile feature people are looking for on which you are working?

<cumulus hat>
I am working on PIM-SM.
We(Cumulus) has some MPLS ( See the MPLS branch in my Forked Repo for
where we are ) that I need to finish up and get into place
We(Cumulus) has Type 2/3 EVPN routes( See the CumulusNetworks Quagga
repo ) that I also need to finish up and get into a place that can be
upstreamed.
We(Cumulus) has a mpls ping/traceroute implementation that I would
like to bring into the FRR, but we are in internal discussions about
the approach that I originally took.

<Individual Contributor>
I am working on EIGRP ( See the EIGRP branch in my Forked Repo ) I'm
hoping to enlist Donnie in helping me.  I'll be having lunch with him
next week to see if some sort of agreement can be reached.
I am really interested in cleaning up the code base via refactoring.
There are lots of duplicated functionality, cut-n-paste code, v4 -vs-
v6 code paths that just need attention.
I am interested in bringing Babel back into the repository and have
started some very preliminary discussions with Juliuscz.

I am sure other people can answer for themselves too :)

donald