[dev] Routing Performance

JR Rivers jrrivers at cumulusnetworks.com
Wed Jul 5 12:16:57 EDT 2017

Hmmm.... there are a couple of things to consider in your question....

FRR is the routing protocol, so the types of performance numbers that
typically make sense in that context are convergence time given a route
change event (i.e. join a network, topology change, etc).  Packet
throughput is well outside of the FRR domain, which leads me to the second
observation...

Packet throughput on an X86 platform is based on a TON of factors... the
kernel version, kernel tuning, NIC type, NIC drivers, NIC firmware (if
required), other invoked SW/networking features (iptables, tc, etc).

With all of that said, I know of customers running FRR on X86 systems and
getting 40G routing performance.

cheers, JR