[dev] FRR Packaging: existing guidelines and future plans

Scott Leggett scott at sl.id.au
Sat Jun 3 08:23:12 EDT 2017

Hi,

I'm the current maintainer of quagga in Debian (new maintainer - only as
of < 1 year). I just wanted to start a discussion about frr distro
integration, and have some questions about the frr roadmap :-)

I see that on your wiki[0] and in at least one recent merge[1] that you
are moving towards a single system service controlling multiple daemons.

I recently removed this feature from the Debian quagga package and
replaced it with individual services because I think that the single
service controlling multiple daemons is a mistake.
There are some subtle bugs in the old debian service management scripts
(e.g. [2],[3]), and having a special new mechanism to learn to control
the frr daemons, which is different to the way that every other service
works, is quite annoying. From the viewpoint of a distro maintainer, it
is inconsistent with the unified distribution experience. And finally,
disallowing the system service manager (e.g. systemd) from having proper
oversight of individual services leads to a significant loss in
functionality (e.g. all the features of systemd.exec[4]).

In [0] you describe the main motivation for the single system service
being that watchfrr is going to start and stop daemons in response to
config or vtysh commands. Have you considered using dbus to command the
service manager to start and stop daemons instead[5]?

On a totally different topic, I thought I saw somewhere that frr is
planning to deprecate individual service config files in favour of the
integrated config. Is that the case?

[0] https://github.com/FRRouting/frr/wiki/Distro-&-Packaging-README-FAQ
[1] https://github.com/FRRouting/frr/pull/378
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=678946