[frr] 2 MPLS Questions

David Ahern dsa at cumulusnetworks.com
Thu Mar 23 13:37:51 EDT 2017

On 3/23/17 11:34 AM, Amine Kherbouche wrote:
> Yes but we still need a default value.
> You have also to see the perf impact, now the current mpls entry size in
> linux kernel is under
> a cache line, even using 12 stacked labels, we are always under a cache
> line but beyond
> this value we're going to see performance issue.

The implementation changes I have do not have a static allocation for
labels. The max limit discussed here is an upper bound on what the
kernel will take from userspace.

Individual routes and nexthops allocate memory only for the max number
of labels across all nexthops within a route:

struct mpls_nh { /* next hop label forwarding entry */
        struct net_device __rcu *nh_dev;
        unsigned int            nh_flags;
        u8                      nh_labels;
        u8                      nh_via_alen;