[dev] Package Discussion (Doodle for times)

Martin Winter mwinter at opensourcerouting.org
Wed May 24 20:21:53 EDT 2017

Ok, there seems to be some serious lack of interest.

Only got response from David and “Robot” (supposedly Donald?).
(and Jafar saying that he doesn’t have time)

Not sure how to proceed, so here is my rant:

I’m thinking about just closing the Redhat Package PR (not merging,
just close) and someone else can address it again in maybe 6 months
or whenever there is any interest at all.

I was really hoping to get something in - maybe not perfect, but at
least a start and everyone would be welcome to improve it afterwards
with PRs on top of the base.
The PR doesn’t break anything existing (current packages fail on all
OS for me, so I’m not building any RH packages at this time). So I think
it’s better than what we have now and it doesn’t break anything existing.
Based on this, my view would be to get it in.

But it seems the discussion goes down the rathole on how to have all
perfect back to 2.0 release and rather have nothing instead of this.
There is very little technical feedback (Donald provided some and I
thank him for this - even if he has different views, I highly
appreciate them. The issue here is NOT the fault of Donald, but
the lack of feedback from just about everyone else. It just caused a
“standstill” as Donald and I have different personal views on some of
the technical points. But I think a 3rd/4th opinion could have solved
this very easily)

Now from me pushing the long overdue decision, the whole things seems
to derail on how to get packages into distro’s. This is secondary to me
as they always lag far behind and I think there is no way around
providing up-to-date packages directly like most other projects do.

</rant>

Steps forward:

I formally ask this now to be moved to the TSC for a vote on how
to move forward (as our charters outline). I want an agreement to
either
 - Close (abandon) the PR without merging
 - Accept the PR as it is
 - Clear indication of what is missing/broken and required to
    be fixed for it to be accepted.

Let’s see how our TSC process works…

- Martin