[dev] why fork Quagga?

Lou Berger lberger at labn.net
Mon Apr 2 14:44:16 EDT 2018

Hi Carla,

On April 2, 2018 1:37:29 PM Carla Schroder <carla at tuxcomputing.com> wrote:

Hello FRR devs,

I'm writing an article on FRRouting for Linux.com. I've read a
number of articles on why it was forked from Quagga (for example
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsp/free-range-routing-protocol-finds-a-new-home-at-the-linux-foundation.html
and http://packetpushers.net/free-range-routing-project-forks-quagga/)

Is there anything anyone would like to add or correct?

A minor point, but BigSwitch didn't play a notable role in the fork.

It's not a huge
deal and I'm not looking for scandals. Readers will want to know the
reasons for forking. It looks like the tl;dr version is 'quagga
was bottlenecked by a single maintainer and development stalled'.

I'd add "and there was a desire for a project that was governed by
community consensus and documented process."

I've also seen discussion on frrouting.org about new features and
support for additional protocols-- anyone care to comment what these new
things mean for network admins? You don't have to write a book,
summaries like "We're working on support for Foov5, which means
transferring good beer securely over untrusted networks!" are good.

If there is anything else you think is cool and needs to be shared,
throw that in too.

I think enhanced support for BGP MPLS L3VPN and EVPNs, for both controller
and on-box forwarding models, are particularly notable.

Lou

I will attribute any comments that I use, so if you want to be
anonymous let me know.

My deadline is Tuesday evening. I know that's not much time--welcome
to my world :)

thanks,
Carla