[dev] FRR Technical Meeting Notes - 02/27/2018

Quentin Young qlyoung at cumulusnetworks.com
Tue Feb 27 12:56:56 EST 2018

FRR Technical Meeting Notes - February 27, 2018

Policy on support for EOL platforms
-----------------------------------
- Should we support EOL platforms? Group consensus = No
- Moving forward we will not explicitly support EOL platforms
- Keep these platforms in CI, but remove as soon as it becomes inconvenient to
  maintain
- Seeing as Centos 6 went EOL in May 2017, it is no longer supported; to be
  noted in docs

Kernel minimum version requirement discussion
- What should our policy be on minimum kernel version needed for networking
  features?
- Paul Z: Zebra should warn if a user tries to configure a feature and it's not
  supported
- Martin W: `show features` command to inform user would be useful
- Others: Agreed on both counts
- Donald: If we implement the above, developers should be mindful when
  implementing kernel-specific features to update both of these things and it
  will be something to look for in future code reviews.

Issues
------
Updates in individual issues.

#1777, #1778 - Discussion postponed until Lou is present
#1794 - General group consensus to stick with kernel style in this regard
#1803 - Some people recall this being fixed in the past, Renato to take a look

Pull Requests
Updates in individual PRs.

- #1711: Namespace VRF now in, thanks Philippe
- #1704: Some packaging nits to fix, then good to go; ETA < 1 week

Topotest PEP8
Martin & Rafael not too keen on reformatting whole codebase right now due to
activity, but agree it might be worth looking at in the future. See further
discussion here:
https://github.com/FRRouting/topotests/issues/73#issuecomment-368952010