[dev] BGP Views

Renato Westphal renato at opensourcerouting.org
Thu Sep 6 21:40:42 EDT 2018

Good point. Yes, running BGP views on separate processes should be
better in terms of multi-threading.

Regarding your first question, VRFs are more than just separate
routing tables. VRFs provide isolated network stacks, so you can have
for example interfaces with overlapping IP addresses and processes
bound to the same TCP/IP port/address tuples.

This reminds me that running two different bgpd instances on the same
VRF shouldn't be as simple as it seems. The second bgpd instance will
either need to specify a different BGP port (--bgp_port) or a
different local address (--listenon) to avoid conflicting TCP
listening sockets. This needs to be documented when removing support
for BGP views.

Cheers,
Renato.

--