[dev] FRR moving to Microsoft Team Foundation Server

Quentin Young qlyoung at cumulusnetworks.com
Mon Apr 1 12:58:52 EDT 2019

Hi folks,

With Microsoft’s recent acquisition of GitHub, concerns have been raised over the trend towards increased centralization of open source development infrastructure. As an open source project developed by many diverse contributors, we see a need to move our codebase and version control hosting to a more decentralized platform.

The maintainer team has looked at multiple options, such as BitBucket, Gogs, Gitlab, and a Slack channel for sharing timestamped zip archives. After long deliberations and careful evaluations, we have decided to go with Team Foundation Server to replace GitHub, and will additionally be moving to TFS from Git.  Additionally all of our remotes will be hosted on Windows Server boxes via Azure starting 04/02/19, after which time developers will need to have a functional Windows box to continue to contribute to FRR. Patches must be submitted to TFS in .docx format. Please note that the usual style rules and code signing requirements will still apply.

While we recognize there may be some short term growing pains, we feel confident this will be a big step forward for open networking.

---
Sent from my Surface Pro