[dev] How to build FRR with snmp supported ?

David Lamparter equinox at diac24.net
Thu Aug 1 05:05:44 EDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 03:56:40PM +0800, Simon Jones wrote:
> 1. In this doc (http://docs.frrouting.org/en/latest/snmp.html), I think
> SNMP related code in FRR is
>     - snmp codes of each module, like zebra or bgpd, which is located in
> .../modules/zebra_snmp.so. And these codes is load while zebra or bgpd
> start up? These codes response for report snmp events in zebra or bgpd
> modules by protocol to agentX?
>     - AgentX, which is used to receive these snmp events and call snmp traps

I'm having some trouble understanding your questions, but the modules
are installed to /usr/lib/*/frr/modules/*_snmp.so and loaded at startup
with the "-M snmp" option.

> 2. So I want to start zebra with zebra_snmp.so. But I got errors which tell
> me there is no zebra_snmp.so. So I check build process, then I have
> questions in the email above.

Then the frr-snmp package is not installed.  There is no problem with
the build process.  Unless you modify the Debian package - or the
package build didn't complete successfully - SNMP support is enabled for
Debian packages.

> 3. Is there some docs about how to build, package, install and use
> frr-snmp? As this(http://docs.frrouting.org/en/latest/snmp.html) is not
> very clear.
>     - http://docs.frrouting.org/en/latest/snmp.html tell me SNMP support
> compile is just use `--enable-snmp`. But as I said above, there is
> zebra_snmp.so in compile log, but no zebra_snmp.so in packages I installed.
>     - http://docs.frrouting.org/en/latest/snmp.html tell me SNMP support
> could be started by `--module <module:snmp>`, but when I start, report
> error log that 'there is no zebra_snmp.so in .../modules/'

There is nothing to change to enable SNMP support in Debian packages.
You just need to install the frr-snmp package and add the "-M snmp" /
"--module snmp" (same option) to your config.

> 4. So could someone tell me clear steps on:
>     - How to installed *additionally* to the "frr" package.

apt-get install frr-snmp
or
dpkg -i frr-snmp_*.deb

>     - How to start SNMP support in system.

You seem to have that in place already since you're getting the
"zebra_snmp.so not found" error.

-David