[dev] Open Network Equipment and FRRouting

olivier.dugeon at orange.com olivier.dugeon at orange.com
Mon Jan 21 12:25:48 EST 2019

Hello Lukasz

We, in our lab, are looking to such approach.

After looking to various project (Open Network Linux, OpenSwitch and Sonic), I understand that the best is to use OpenSAI library (Switch Abstraction Interface). OpenSwith and Sonic are using this approach. Then, FRRouting is running a usual pushing into the kernel FIB entries. Another daemon is listen to any modification done to the Kernel FIB and automatically transmit the modification to the ASIC through OpenSAI.

You could have a look at OpenSwith documentation here: https://github.com/open-switch/opx-docs/wiki/Layer-3 as an example.

The other approach consist to use the FPM interface of FRRouting to directly talk to the ASIC. However, if this approach could be more efficient, it is very hard to develop and need to be adapted to each ASIC family. In fact, the goal of OpenSAI library is to unify the different ASIC vendor API which overcome this problem. Now, we could question if there is an opportunity to develop an OpenSAI / FPM converter. Not sure if it is pertinent. We are continuing our investigation evaluating OpenSwitch and SONIC as well as looking how both project use OpenSAI.

Regards

Olivier

Le 21/01/2019 à 14:17, Łukasz Wójcik a écrit :
> Hello there,
>

> In the era of Open Networking equipment, e.g. switching ASICs support
> forwarding based on L3 information. I was wondering,
>
> if FRRouting supports or plans to support any mechanisms that would
> allow for passing L3 data to the hardware, and therefore
>
> offloading some work to the HW ? I would imagine some kind of API or
> event-driven mechanisms that would require HW manufacturer's
>
> SDKs/API to glue-to/plug-into FRRouting ?
>

> Best regards,
>
> -ŁW

Thank you.