[dev] RTT

Sullivan (US), Scott C scott.c.sullivan at boeing.com
Thu Apr 2 20:38:22 EDT 2020

A link between 2 nodes (routers, hosts, etc.) in CORE is facilitated by a linux bridge.  So, if you have 2 routers directly connected to each other, CORE creates that by connecting each CORE node (i.e. via kernel virtualization) to the linux bridge.  If you have 3 nodes connected in a string (n1 - n2 - n3), nodes n1 and n2 are connected by one linux bridge and nodes n2 and n3 connected by another linux bridge.  You can see this by looking at the output of brctl when an emulation is running.

I would expect your RTT to increase as the number of hops increases.  If 1 hop is 80us, then it seems reasonable that 2 hops would be 160us, which is going to be system dependent.  I don't know how CORE implements bandwidth, but wouldn't be surprised if it's a tc configuration (shaper ?) on one of the node interfaces connected to a linux bridge.

CORE doesn't emulate software.  It runs objective software (e.g. ping, FRR, etc.) in each emulated node (i.e. via kernel virtualization) - the same software that you'd run outside of CORE.