[dev] EIGRP

FREIVALD, JOSEPH A jf1578 at att.com
Fri Jun 12 15:45:08 UTC 2020

Hello,

The last couple years I have been working on a side project to implement a fully functional and tested version of EIGRP based on FRR release 5.0. That work is largely complete and I would like to share with the community but it will likely require significant grooming to match the coding style requirements and stage the multiple merge requests required integrate it with the dev code-base. Unfortunately I don't have time to do that.

This implementation behaves very well in complex Cisco-based networks with only one 'on-the-wire' deviation from Cisco's behavior (sending individual REPLY messages for each prefix in a bulk QUERY instead of bundling them, which only results in slightly more traffic and processor usage and doesn't affect network the topology). The latest version includes clean Stuck-in-active behavior as well. Current work is adding BFD to EIGRP using the 5.0 OSPF BFD implementation as a pony.

I have two questions:

  1.  Are there any defects in the 5.0 implementation of BFD that I should be aware of and/or backport BFD fixes from 7.2?
  2.  Is there any interest in including EIGRP in the full FRR feature set?

Thanks,

Joseph A. T. Freivald
Core Technical Architect
Global Business - Public Sector Solutions

AT&T
3033 Chain Bridge Road, Oakton, VA 22124-2542
m  703.853.7272 | jf1578 at att.com<mailto:jf1578 at att.com>

MOBILIZING YOUR WORLD

"This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are AT&T property, are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this email is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other uses, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited."