[dev] FRR 7.5.1 oficial debian package

ivaylo ivaylo at bglans.net
Wed May 19 10:43:45 UTC 2021

Hello,

First thanks to of you about the work around FRR softaware !

After clean install (or upgrade from 7.3.1) on Debian 9/10 the oficial
package of frr 7.5.1 (from frr-stable debian repository), I observe broken
config file after edit via CLI (telnet or when starting bgpd with -t ) in
route-map sections

For example:

bgpd# show running-config
!
route-map IPV4-AAA-OUT permit 10
  match as-path localas
  set as-path prepend 60349 60349
  match ip address prefix-list v4_prep_nets
route-map IPV4-AAA-OUT permit 60
  match community c_CLS_2_AAA
  set as-path prepend 60349
!

First there is no comment between the two rules in the route map, second
the match clauses are separate with set.

Example2:
extrestr# conf t
extrestr(config)# route-ma
extrestr(config)# route-map AAA1 permi
extrestr(config)# route-map AAA1 permit 10
extrestr(config-route-map)# match as-path our_asn
extrestr(config-route-map)# match community c_gws
extrestr(config-route-map)# exit
extrestr(config)# route-map AAA1 deny 5
extrestr(config-route-map)# show running-config
route-map RS-OUT permit 10
  match as-path our_asn
  set ipv6 next-hop global 2a09:a947:bac:252::133
  set ipv6 next-hop prefer-global
  set ip next-hop 185.200.158.133
  set ip next-hop 185.200.158.133
route-map AAA1 permit 10
  match as-path our_asn
  match community c_gws
!
route-map AAA1 deny 5

Commenting lines (!) are set strange (maybe random?) the. The rules in the
route-map are not in the right sequence (I think they are add one after
another without sequence). The other problem set clause of ip next-hop
they are always added two times ....

extrestr# conf t
extrestr(config)# route-map RS-OUT permit 10
extrestr(config-route-map)# no set ip next-hop 185.200.158.133
extrestr(config-route-map)# show running-config
route-map RS-OUT permit 10
  match as-path our_asn
  set ipv6 next-hop global 2a09:a947:bac:252::133
  set ipv6 next-hop prefer-global
!
route-map AAA1 permit 10
  match as-path our_asn
  match community c_gws
!
route-map AAA1 deny 5
extrestr(config-route-map)# set ip next-hop 185.200.158.133
extrestr(config-route-map)# show running-config
!
route-map RS-OUT permit 10
  match as-path our_asn
  set ipv6 next-hop global 2a09:a947:bac:252::133
  set ipv6 next-hop prefer-global
  set ip next-hop 185.200.158.133
  set ip next-hop 185.200.158.133
route-map AAA1 permit 10
  match as-path our_asn
  match community c_gws
!
route-map AAA1 deny 5
!

When the bgpd.conf is writen it is same as is shown with running-config
command, show route-map XXXX shows right sequence of the chains, so
maybe it works at all, but I am not sure what will be with complicated
route maps rules when you jump from one to another RM and back. Also with
larger config files it is night mare to trace route map sequence.

   After build my own (package for debian10) stable 7.5 , stable 7.4 ,
stable 7.3 I see the problems starts from 7.4 and up. I have and version
7.6-dev build on Slackware and same is there. Currnet stable/7.3 branch
and old debian 7.3.1 package (from frr repository) are ok.

   Current master 7.7 is totaly unusable on debian 10 because libyang2
(maybe the CI package of libyang 2 is broken not sure) but the cli (via
telnet) is very slow (laggy, hard to write even a command) and bgpd
connects and disconnects constantly.

If you need debug or test more let me know.

Ivaylo Josifov
VarnaIX / Varteh LTD
+359 52 969393
Varna, Bulgaria