[dev] Announcing FRR Release 8.1

Jafar Al-Gharaibeh jafar at atcorp.com
Wed Nov 10 21:20:44 UTC 2021

Hi all,

  We are pleased to announce the 8.1 release of FRRouting. This release
brings a long list of enhancements and fixes with 1200 commits from 75
developers. Thanks to all contributors.

Packages:

   Debian Packages - https://deb.frrouting.org/
   RPM Packages - https://rpm.frrouting.org/
   Snaps - https://snapcraft.io/frr
   Docker - frrouting/frr:v8.1.0

Some major highlights:
    * Lua hooks are now feature complete, with one hook available for use
    * Improvements to Prefix-SID (Type 5)
    * EVPN route type-5 gateway IP overlay Index
    * OSPFv3 NSSA and NSSA totally stub areas
    * OSPFv3 ASBR summarization
    * OSPFv3 Graceful Restart
    * OSPFv2 Graceful Restart (restarting mode added, helper was already
implemented)

Please see the release notes for the detailed changelog:

   * Github release: https://github.com/FRRouting/frr/releases/tag/frr-8.1
   * FRRouting website:  https://frrouting.org/release/8.1/

During this period we also hosted an FRRouting 2021 GSOC Project!

    FRRouting's GSOC student implemented the infrastructure needed to
add the ability to call out to user provided Lua scripts from within
FRR. Keep an eye out for developments in this area. You can read about
the work at:
      -
https://frrouting.github.io/frr-gsoc/year-2021/projects/lua-hook-points
      - https://dlqs.dev/frr-gsoc-2021.html