[FROG] FRR deletes default route upon installation

Brandon Applegate brandon at burn.net
Thu Aug 9 16:37:09 EDT 2018

I’m having quite the day today :/

This is Ubuntu 18.04.  I have a static IP and default route configured.  I’m using Ansible to provision these machines.

I logged into the console on the box and ran ‘watch “ip route show”’ - to keep an eye on the routing table.  As soon as ansible installed FRR - my default route was gone.

I see this in the logs on the box:

Aug  9 16:24:41 ubuntu frr[2186]: Removing all routes made by FRR.

Technically the default route was there before FRR.  So if that is what is removing it - color me confused.  Once this happens - ansible gets stuck (my ansible is running from a box on a different subnet and therefore needs the default route to stay stable).

Can someone explain this behavior to me ?  Is there something I can do ?  Put a temp static route in for my ansible host ?  Add a route in a manner that FRR won’t touch it yet ?  Would it help to have FRR config in place beforehand (I can do this in ansible easy enough) ?

Many thanks in advance on this.  I’m so so close on this project I’m working on.  Just need to get over this bump.

--
Brandon Applegate - CCIE 10273
PGP Key fingerprint: