[FROG] FRR on NRL CORE (fyi)

Phil Wiggins phil.wiggins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:37:34 EDT 2018

If anyone is interested in running FRR in the NRL CORE emulation
environment, I have some build scripts for FRR on CORE that I posted at the
first link below.  Normally CORE runs Quagga, so this script was a hack to
shoehorn FRR as a Quagga replacement.  These scripts are not part of CORE
yet, so are unsupported.  People on this list may want to use CORE for FRR
experimentation and testing, so you can customize these scripts to suit
your own needs.

It's best to run this stuff in a VM with no internet connection (after
installation) since CORE runs lots of processes as root - a well-known
security issue.

https://github.com/coreemu/core/issues/170

( install_frr_for_core.sh)
FRR on NRL CORE build script - assumes Ubuntu 16.04.4 clean installation in
a VM or physical host:
https://gist.github.com/apwiggins/44f3592a61965783372aea5881ed9f7a

(core_misc_frr.py )
used by the install script above to install at ./core/misc/frr.py
https://gist.github.com/apwiggins/d610c2794c8c0a12a45bfc093fd2e949

(core_services_frr.py)
used by the install script above to install at ./core/services/frr.py
https://gist.github.com/apwiggins/747a9a14feff2ce3a3b8760406b825a7

https://www.nrl.navy.mil/itd/ncs/products/core
The Common Open Research Emulator (CORE) is a tool for emulating networks
on one or more machines. You can connect these emulated networks to live
networks. CORE consists of a GUI for drawing topologies of lightweight
virtual machines, and Python modules for scripting network emulation.

Cheers,

Phil