[FROG] Optional attribute error peering BGP with BIRD

Donald Sharp sharpd at cumulusnetworks.com
Thu Jul 11 08:54:58 EDT 2019

Derrick -

>From the pcap this looks like FRR is sending an empty NLRI and
according to RFC 2858:

   An UPDATE message that carries no NLRI, other than the one encoded in
   the MP_REACH_NLRI attribute, should not carry the NEXT_HOP attribute.
   If such a message contains the NEXT_HOP attribute, the BGP speaker
   that receives the message should ignore this attribute.

So the enclosed pcap looks correct too me as that we are sending a
default route to our peer to be pointed back at us.

donald