[FROG] FIB routing compaction / compression

Martin Millnert millnert at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 13:28:25 EDT 2019

I toyed around with this 7 years ago after having first done an extensive
research survey. It's pretty straightforward in theory and there are
numerous approaches that can be combined. At that time there was no
research article showing the full combination of techniques. The
capabilities of the various forwarding chips potentially limits the full
scope of what's possible. My early simulations were quite promising. The
effort has been enjoying project shelf/vacation since then.
One of the main downsides with the approach is that it is very hard to get
a feel for how well the forwarding table can compress, and you are more
than usually at the mercy of what your peers are sending you.

Best,
Martin