[FROG] Question about pimd

Donald Sharp sharpd at cumulusnetworks.com
Mon May 13 10:02:42 EDT 2019

Inline

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 9:53 AM kevin-chiang <kevin-chiang at looptelecom.com>
wrote:

> Dear developers,
>

> We have some questions about pimd:
>

> 1.      I see some IGMP related code in pim folder and also see the
> following description in README:
>
> In order to deliver end-to-end multicast routing control
>
>   plane, qpimd includes the router-side of IGMPv[2|3] (RFC 3376).
>
> è Does it means FRR totally compliance with RFC3376??

I did not do the igmpv[2|3] work in pim, but I believe it is compliant.

> 2.      If user has its own IGMP daemons to handle IGMP packets and then
> install multicast route to kernel.
>
> Does FRR pimd can work with this without enable its IGMP feature? Or you
> will suggest user to use FRR IGMP to work with FRR pimd.

This makes no sense from a linux perspective.  The linux kernel only allows
1 pim socket to be opened.

> 3.      How pimd retrieve the multicast route change information from
> zebra? It seems pimd doesn’t register such handler to zebra server.

The netlink bus is pretty much only used for mroute dissemination.  In
order to add/remove routes as well as receive proper pim
dataplane/controlplane interactions the pim kernel socket is necessary.
Pim can request data from the kernel via the netlink bus and does so via
the ZEBRA_IPMR_ROUTE_STATS but that is all.

> 4.      Does FRR have any plan to support MLD in the near future?

I am not aware of anyone currently working on this feature nor am i aware
of it being planned on working on.  Not to say that someone may or may not
be?

donald