[FROG] Announcing support for VRRP

Quentin Young qlyoung at cumulusnetworks.com
Tue May 21 12:16:58 EDT 2019

> what about the possibilities to get this also into FreeBSD? There are many
> ppl out there using FRR via OPNsense/pfSense and it would be a smooth
> integration if advertising of VRRP VIPs would be possible. Currently the HA
> process is stopping FRR on the backup unit.

I’d love to support BSD, but currently VRRP uses macvlan devices[0] to do the
virtual MAC stuff. BSD doesn’t implement those. However, I know BSD implements
what amounts to their own version of VRRP, called CARP[1], which uses the same
protocol number and MAC addresses as VRRP, and describes itself as "a secure,
free alternative" to VRRP. I think BSD has a special interface type to support
this protocol - maybe VRRP could use those or something? I haven’t looked at it
in depth. If anyone wants to work with me on this to add support I'd be happy
to do so.

> what's the reason behind the kernel module? Why is it needed?

No kernel module is needed, I don't know what you’re referring to.

> Isn't VRRP just multicast which can be send in userspace?

Yes - which is what we do.

> And the IP up down stuff is managed by the macvlan module. Or it is just 5.1+
> because the proto up / down patch for macvlan got merged into 5.1?

That’s correct, Cumulus Networks added the kernel patches to set macvlan
devices into protodown to support this VRRP implementation[2], which will ship
in kernel 5.1. The docs explain this[3].

[0] https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/10/22/introduction-to-linux-interfaces-for-virtual-networking/ <https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/10/22/introduction-to-linux-interfaces-for-virtual-networking/>
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Address_Redundancy_Protocol <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Address_Redundancy_Protocol>
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b58996795dc4 <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b58996795dc4>
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=2e8b4ba64676 <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=2e8b4ba64676>
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8f1af75df3a7 <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=8f1af75df3a7>