[FROG] FRR Adding IPv6 Routes

Tran (US), Katherine K katherine.k.tran at boeing.com
Thu Apr 2 17:25:29 EDT 2020

Hello,

I am trying to switch from Quagga to  FRR, but I am having issues adding distributed IPv6 routes. Although the IPv6 routes get added, they keep toggling between being added and removed. This did not occur while using Quagga.

A difference between the added IPv6 routes of Quagga and FRR was that (1) the Quagga routes are by protocol zebra and (2) the FRR routes are by protocol 186, which I deduced to be bgpd. This can be seen by initiating the command "ip -6 ro sh".

Quagga
2001:XXXX:X:X::/64 via fe80::1:2 dev eth0 proto zebra metric 1024 pref medium

FRR
-----
2001:XXXX:X:X::/64 via fe80::1:2 dev eth0 proto 186 metric 20 pref medium

I have a simple BGP configuration using Autonomous System Border Router (ASBR). I am running the daemons (zebra, staticd, bgpd) through the all-encompassing config file frr.conf, and I have also tried separating each daemon out to a separate config file and running them separately. I used the same commands from the Quagga confile files, and I added the additional staticd commands. I've looked at all the generated log files, and I can't seem to find anything substantial to investigation.

Would anyone have an idea why these IPv6 routes keep toggling from being added and removed? Any additional suggestions on troubleshooting steps?

Thank you,
Katherine