[FROG] IS-IS Complains When Loopback Interface is in Play

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Apr 7 10:40:53 EDT 2020

Hi all.

When I add my Loopback interface to isisd.conf and restart it, it throws
the below:

2020/04/07 14:35:44 errors: ISIS: libyang: Missing required element
"area-tag" in "isis".
(/frr-interface:lib/interface[name='lo0'][vrf='default']/frr-isisd:isis)
2020/04/07 14:35:44 warnings: ISIS: [EC 100663337]
nb_candidate_commit_prepare: failed to validate candidate configuration
% Configuration failed: validation error.

A bit of Googling indicated that "router isis 1" would need to come
first in the configuration, since some previous versions of FRR
processed the files line by line, and not atomically. But even after
doing that, I still get the same error; but get this, ONLY when I add
"interface lo0" to the configuration. Without that, and with just the
physical interface in the configuration, IS-IS starts up fine.

Any thoughts?

System FRR 7.3 on FreeBSD-12.1. Thanks.

Mark.