[FROG] import vrf works in running config, but not after write mem and frr restart

Rainbow Dash 0xbabaf00l at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 14:05:20 UTC 2020

> On 23. Dec 2020, at 21:13, Don Slice <dslice at cumulusnetworks.com> wrote:
>
> Do you need to use different ASNs for the different VRFs?  If not, change to the same ASN and see if you have better luck. There is work under way to support different ASNs for VRFs and default instance but not yet completed.

At this point I‘m in the testing phase. I‘ve build a demo setup with Cumulus VX and some Linux VMs running frr. We plan to go live on real hardware In Q2/Q3 2021. So there is some time left to figure out.

We have to connect to two tenants. Each party expects us to use a private ASN in a certain range (both different).
My (maybe naive) approach was to create a VRF for each tenant with the required ASNs and import all routes from both VRFs into my default VRF and vice versa.

I discovered that frr does read the configuration correctly when first defining all the router bgp blocks with all the settings but without the imports and repeat the router bgp blocks at the bottom with only the import vrf commands.
We doing this, I cannot use vtysh to modify the config, because frr combines the settings, but when only modifying the frr.conf externally this seems to work.

Cheers,
Sascha