[FROG] RFC: resolution over default route - should it be enabled by default?

Quentin Young qlyoung at nvidia.com
Wed Feb 10 22:48:31 UTC 2021

Hi froggers, FRR developers would like operator feedback on this question.

By default, Zebra will not resolve nexthops via a default route. To allow this, you have to put the following line in your configuration:

ip nht resolve-via-default (https://docs.frrouting.org/en/latest/zebra.html#clicmd-ipnhtresolve-via-default)

This has various implications, but the one we see most often is that BGP won't peer over a default route. This has been at the root of quite a few issues filed over the years, enough that it might be worthwhile flipping the default.

We want to hear from operators whether you think this is a good idea. Has the current behavior helped you? Hurt you? We want your feedback.

Quentin