[cmaster-next] please check your spam folders for list mails

David Lamparter equinox at opensourcerouting.org
Mon Nov 28 10:51:13 EST 2016

Hi everyone,

we've just noticed that some mails on this mailing list have gotten
flagged down as spam.  This is a widespread problem with mailing lists
in regard to DKIM, DMARC and SPF anti-spam measures, i.e. in this case
the SPF record for cumulusnetworks.com prohibits the mailing list from
forwarding the mail, and in combination with DMARC that's sufficient for
Google to put it into spam.

There is no "good" workaround for this, and since this list is temporary
and will hopefully be moved soon, there won't really be a fix.  If you
use Google Mail, please go to your spam folder and look for any mail
that has "[cmaster-next]" in the Subject: line.  I would hope the spam
detection will remember the "this is not spam" click for future mails.

There should have been 2 mails from Donald on the list, one Nov 25th,
one today.  These were the only ones I found in my spam folder, I hope I
didn't miss anything else.

Cheers,

-David

P.S.: I checked other subscriber domains on the list:
- 6wind.com: no SPF - OK
- opensourcerouting.org: no SPF - OK
- labn.net: neutral SPF, but no DMARC - OK
- us.ibm.com: soft SPF, but no DMARC - should be OK
- orange.com: soft SPF, but no DMARC - should be OK
- atcorp.com: hard SPF, but no DMARC - should be OK
- cumulusnetworks.com: hard SPF + DMARC - PROBLEM :(

I can write a script to auto-check this later for subscribers on the
list, so at least they get a notification/warning.