[frr] 2 MPLS Questions

Donald Sharp sharpd at cumulusnetworks.com
Wed Mar 15 11:05:42 EDT 2017

David/Roopa -

Olivier asked me about these two issues yesterday in the FRR Technical
Meeting.  I just wanted to make sure I didn't loose track of these
questions that he had:

1) More than 2 labels in the kernel at a time, when will this be
allowed in the kernel?

   -> David is currently working on this issue.  When he is done it
will be upstreamed.  So soonish(tm).

2) PenUltimate Hop Popping:

I know this issue is not trivial to solve. In fact, once the POP
instruction perform, the packet must re-enter in the IP packet
processing to determine what action must apply. A possible solution
would be to process this packet as a new incoming IP packet when
output interface is the loopback disregarding the IP address value.
But, this issue is less urgent than the first one. Our OSPF Segment
Routing implementation could announce if the router works in
PenUltimate Hop Poping mode or not. So, for the moment, the option is
force to yes.

thanks!