[frr] Quagga bug id 870 (was Re: Meetup @IETF this week?)

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Mar 31 09:47:32 EDT 2017

On 3/27/2017 4:39 PM, Martin Winter wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2017, at 13:07, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>> On 3/27/2017 3:37 PM, Martin Winter wrote:
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> Do you happen to know if this happens with FRR as well?
>>
>> I was hoping to test.  I dont have an easy way to reproduce it in the
>> lab, but I could probably run it on the problem box during an outage
>> window late at night. It only takes a few min to see the problem come up.
>>
>> Can I test against frr-2.0-rc2 ? Any debugging you want me to turn on
>> when I test it ?
>
> I think, the first step would be to just see if it still exists.
> I did some troubleshooting, trying to reproduce this (or very similar)
> issue on Quagga in the past, but failed to reproduce it.
>
> So if it happens on FRR-2.0-rc2  (latest stable/2.0 branch), then I
> really want to dig into it and trying to reproduce it (and get it fixed).

OK, sort of good news sort of indeterminate news.  I compiled up a
version on FreeBSD #11 stable. The problem might not be there. However,
I was not able to bring up all my peers as bgp passwords do not seem to
work. I have about 9 peers that I use passwords with and its possible
those peers might be triggering the problem. But with the other 20+
peers, I was not able to see the issue, at least for the 15min or so
that I have the peers up so far.

Other minor details I noticed-- from the configs I cp'd over from
Quagga, for whatever reason

bgp log-neighbor-changes
disappeared

I re added it and it seems to work

peers seem to take a long time to come up. Suspiciously, about 180secs
after a hard clear or start up

show ip bgp sum
displays all the peers out of order ?

Anyways, I will need to get the bgp passwords working before I am more
confident to say whether the bug is still there or not.

the config seems to say it is

configure:18185: checking whether TCP_MD5SIG is declared
configure:18185: cc -c  -g -Os -fno-omit-frame-pointer -Wall -Wextra
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wpointer-arith
-Wbad-function-cast -Wwrite-strings -Wno-unused-result
-Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers
-I/usr/local/include -static conftest.c >&5
configure:18185: $? = 0
configure:18185: result: yes
 #define HAVE_DECL_TCP_MD5SIG 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */