[dev] A question about the # of vrf per router or switch can support by FRR?

Donald Sharp sharpd at cumulusnetworks.com
Wed Nov 1 13:04:41 EDT 2017

Jay -

What version of the code are you looking at?  VRF's use RB trees:

static __inline int vrf_id_compare(const struct vrf *, const struct vrf *);
static __inline int vrf_name_compare(const struct vrf *, const struct vrf *);

RB_GENERATE(vrf_id_head, vrf, id_entry, vrf_id_compare);
RB_GENERATE(vrf_name_head, vrf, name_entry, vrf_name_compare);

struct vrf_id_head vrfs_by_id = RB_INITIALIZER(&vrfs_by_id);
struct vrf_name_head vrfs_by_name = RB_INITIALIZER(&vrfs_by_name);

So do interfaces now as well:

static int if_cmp_func(const struct interface *, const struct interface *);
static int if_cmp_index_func(const struct interface *ifp1,
                             const struct interface *ifp2);
RB_GENERATE(if_name_head, interface, name_entry, if_cmp_func);
RB_GENERATE(if_index_head, interface, index_entry, if_cmp_index_func);

We've been trying to intelligently move code over and may have missed
something.

donald