[dev] new debian build instructions

Martin Winter mwinter at opensourcerouting.org
Wed Oct 11 01:50:52 EDT 2017

On 10 Oct 2017, at 21:56, Rodny Molina wrote

> Hi folks,
>
> I just noticed that the original ‘debian’ folder has been moved to
> ‘debianpkg’ (which is breaking our build)

By the rules of debian maintainers, there should be no “debian”
folder in the source as it breaks some automated debian package build
setups.
So the decision was made to keep the debian files in a different named
folder

> , and that there’s a new set of instructions for building FRR.deb
> package. However, these new instructions
> (debianpkg/README.deb_build.md) are not working for me. Basically, we
> are missing a ‘changelog’ and (apparently) some other debian
> requirements.

There is a “changelog.in” which is the source for a changelog built
by a “make dist”
(“make dist” creates the source tar.gz archive which then can be
used as a source for all the packages)

See step 4 in debianpkg/README.deb_build.md

> So a couple of questions:
>
> * Do you have any cheatsheet for non-debian experts?

debianpkg/README.deb_build.md should be the cheatsheet. Can you give
details where you fail or what part is not clear?

> * Are (somewhat) drastic changes like this one expected in stable
> (3.0) branches? Was this discussed somewhere and i totally missed it?

2.0 is using the same setup and master should be converted to this next.
The old setup had various issues.
Debian Packages were discussed multiple times and (on 2.0) this setup
was extensively tested and pushed with (so far)
no negative comments.

But this is still a rc candidate, so it’s not too late to fix or
improve the doc.

Can you open an issue and document the problems? (and feel free to
assign to me)

- Martin