[dev] Dataplane API

Jia Chen jchen1 at paloaltonetworks.com
Sat Aug 4 00:18:27 EDT 2018

Hi Mark,
Sorry for late reply. I definitely agree with you with 2 below that interface to use management API.  (refer to inline green color)
Thank you,
Jay

From: Mark Stapp <mjs at voltanet.io>
Date: Monday, July 23, 2018 at 6:32 AM
To: Jia Chen <jchen1 at paloaltonetworks.com>
Subject: Re: [dev] Dataplane API

This is an interesting case - and I have to say that I have been focussed on the zebra-to-dataplane path, and haven't given much thought to the inbound path yet (and there are several kinds of info that flow _into_ zebra). a couple of things:

  1.  if the interfaces aren't in the kernel ... does that mean the daemons don't use them?

The protocols still use them. Only the interface differs from “kernel ====> Zebra ====> OSPF” rather it looks like “ x-user-daemon ====> Zebra ====> OSPF”

1. the general software model that I've been trying to work with is that there will be some fairly neutral data structure that represents the information that's being exchanged between the vendor-specific and frr sides of the system. for incoming notifications, those structures will be queued towards the main zebra processing context/pthread - the vendor plugin will be running in a different pthread/context. the transport and marshalling between your own system and frr is your own business - a plugin will need to deal with that, and it sounds like you're already on that path. at some point, we'll add the 'interface notification' type, migrate the existing code to use it, and make it available to plugins.

2. you used the phrase "interface configurations", and I just want to clarify that a bit. incoming configuration is going to be using the management api, imo - not some special zebra-specific path. there's work going on to provide a comprehensive "northbound" management interface. the existence of a device is sort of a special case, and that's the case that will need some specific handling.

Cheers,
Mark