[dev] ospfclient and ospf_api_server

olivier.dugeon at orange.com olivier.dugeon at orange.com
Tue Aug 21 09:23:22 EDT 2018

Hello Donald,

Here we are using this interface, at least to get back the OSPF database for our Path Computation Element (PCE) implementationand for our GMPLS use case.

I also know at least one commercial application that use it (Quagga version, but perhaps moving to FRR).

So, I propose to maintain the code. From my experience, it is already running. In fact, it was based on the OSPF Opaque LSA which has been updated regularly and as using high level API remains up to date without too much modifications.

Do you have in mind some particular problem with this code ? some nits to be fix ?

BTW, I have also in mind to port this API to IS-IS for the same application as OSPF (mostly listen / learning topology). But, I don't find time to do it and it seems a huge amount of work regarding the difference between OSPF and IS-IS. I also read the recent announcement by Renato about the Northbound API. Perhaps, this feature could be part of this new API. I know that for the moment the API mostly concern the CLI, but I think we could consider in a mid-term future such evolution.

Regards

Olivier

Le 20/08/2018 à 19:39, Donald Sharp a écrit :
> All -
>
> Is anyone using this code?  It was put into place in the 2003
> timeframe and from a quick look at the git logs for the files since
> then I see 2 actual bug fixes, one in 2005 and one in 2013( to fix a
> CVE ).  I cannot imagine that with the plethora of changes to ospf
> since then and some of the other concerns outlined to me (namely 1500
> byte limit on opaque_lsa ) that this functionality provides anything
> useful.
>
> Is anyone planning on using this or see a need to keep this code?
>
> donald

Thank you.