[dev] Continued Discussion of Error Codes for FRR

Jia Chen jchen1 at paloaltonetworks.com
Wed Aug 22 13:50:34 EDT 2018

Hi Donald, All,

On another note about inline trace to help live debug, to have a light weight trace always turned on. It has to be light weight, so it does not take much CPU.
The main idea is to write raw data to memory directly, delay time-consuming operation like formatting, string, etc to display time. For example, IPv4 address will be an int when write to memory, only shows as “10.1.1.1/24” at later display.

The problem to solve is following scenario:

When BGP/IS-IS has a bug in production. The detailed log is not enabled. Therefore, to get the debug info, the debug log needs to be enabled first(at proper level), and then the problem need to be reproduced. Usually it is hard to do, and some bug can never be reproduced. On another hand, if the trace is always on, it leaves behind a trace, most time should be enough to get to the root cause of a problem already.

If you think, there is a value, I can start design for BGP or IS-IS first for example, and develop a little later (by us). Of course, if there is already something similar, please let us know.

Thanks,
Jay