[dev] Logging changes for __FUNC__, errno and debug guards

Quentin Young qlyoung at nvidia.com
Wed Apr 21 16:01:59 UTC 2021

All of these changes sound positive to me.

Regarding usage of __FUNC__, I'm not sure if I agree on prefixing all debug messages with the function name. IMO text logs (ie no additional metadata) ought to be kept minimally noisy - if you reach a point where you need to know the function the log message originates from, there are plenty of other ways to do that, like RFC5424, perf, gdb, etc. IMO debugs are "INFO++" logs, something still intended for a user audience, just in excruciating detail.

Your proposed path of going for alpha daemons first sounds good to me. As for when, at your leisure, I suppose.