[FROG] Question

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jan 3 06:37:34 EST 2019

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019, Lou Berger wrote:

> I'm not sure if you're asking about the old or new device -- either way
> openwrt are on both.  The reason I went with the gl.inet device in the
> first place is it comes preloaded with openwrt...

Ah, preloaded. So it might not have the standard openwrt kernel? That
might explain the performance then, if they ship it with the vendor
provided kernel with packet accelerator patches then you'll see great
performance.

I for instance have a broadcom device here that has 3 different levels of
performance (kernel has broadcom patches and userland tools to interact
with accelerator). All numbers with a few sessions of iperf3 tcp test
(unidirectional):

~200 megabit/s - all acceleration turned off

~1000 megabit/s - flow cache turned on, packet accelerator turned off

wirespeed bidirectional (or close to it) - full acceleration with flow
offload

If you get an MT7621 based device you see similar numbers for the first
two above regarding if you turn on FLOWOFFLOAD or not in latest OpenWrt.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se