[FROG] Binding two IP addresses to bgpd

David Bader David.Bader at mailbox.org
Wed Dec 16 15:14:00 UTC 2020

Hello,

we would also like to configure bgpd to bind to some IPs only.

We are migrating over from BIRD to FRR and would like to replicate the
current BIRD binding configuration with FRR.

Our BGP routers have multiple interfaces and IPs and only some of them
are used for BGP sessions, so we would like to limit to which IP
addresses FRR binds to, to limit unnecessary exposure.

The documentation describes "--listenon" but that supports only a single
IP address, is that correct? (and has the side effect that routes are
not installed into the kernel)
http://docs.frrouting.org/en/latest/bgp.html#cmdoption-bgpd-l
I tried to use "-l" multiple times:
-l 192.168.0.1 -l 192.168.123.123
but only the last address is taken into account, others are ignored.

We would like to implement what BIRD calls "strict bind"

https://bird.network.cz/?get_doc&v=20&f=bird-6.html#bgp-strict-bind
> strict bind switch
>
> Specify whether BGP listening socket should be bound to a specific
> local address (the same as the source address) and associated
> interface, or to all addresses.

It is not necessary that this is done as automatically as in BIRD
but it would be great to have the possibility to configure FRR to use
specific IPs in a future FRR releaese (if not possible yet).

thanks,
David