[FROG] Limitations on Bulk Addition of Static Routes in FRR?

Tim Nelson tim.e.nelson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 18:19:34 UTC 2021

Greetings-

I'm attempting to use FRR 7.5.1 running on Debian 11.1 in a lab environment
to simulate an upstream BGP peer to other network devices. I wrote a quick
shell script to generate all of the /24s in IPv4 address space and have
tried loading these into FRR two different ways:

a) Writing all static route config directives to a separate config file,
then loading that config live using "vtysh -f /tmp/nets"
b) Appending the static route config directives to my existing
/etc/frr/frr.conf file and restarting the frr service

Both options fail to load routes after the first few thousand or so (
1.0.0.0/24 through 1.4.238.0/24, none further).

The logs don't indicate any problems or cause for the failure to load
additional routes. The system has plenty of resources so I don't expect
this to be a memory problem.

Thoughts on what I could be doing wrong and suggestions on how to
accomplish this? Thanks!

--Tim