[dev] FreeBSD port

Donald Sharp sharpd at cumulusnetworks.com
Tue Jun 27 10:28:34 EDT 2017

<inline>

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Olivier Cochard-Labbé
<olivier at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started working on the frr FreeBSD port (to be included into the
> official port-tree) and I've got some questions.
>
> 1. I've got a display bug with vtysh: Almost each line end up with a :
> --More--(END)

Set the pager as appropriate at build time with:
--with-vtysh-pager=<something valid>

I use --with-vtysh-pager=cat

> I need to setup environment variable VTYSH_PAGER="" for fixing this problem.
> Is this a standard behavior ?
>
> 2. pimd is enabled by default into the configure script and it compiles
> great... but does someone tested it on FreeBSD ? (I didn't reach to use it).
> It has a different behavior from the other daemon too: As example it didn't
> support the -C/--dryrun option.

PIM-SM is probably broken on *bsd.  In order to get SM working we had
to add some extensions to the kernel, which I would be more than a bit surprised
that it has been done for *bsd.  I'm a bit surprised about the
-C/--dryrun issue.
We should open up some issues.

> 3. Regarding snmp configure option: Once enabled, I've got some build error
> like this one:
>
> vty.c:561:19: warning: implicit declaration of function 'typeof' is invalid
> in C99 [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
> size_t nwrite = MIN ((int) strlen (str), VTY_BUFSIZ - vty->cp - 1);
> ^
> ./zebra.h:341:5: note: expanded from macro 'MIN'
> ({ typeof (a) _a = (a); \
> ^
> vty.c:561:19: error: expected ';' after expression
> ./zebra.h:341:16: note: expanded from macro 'MIN'
> ({ typeof (a) _a = (a); \
>                       ^
> vty.c:561:19: error: use of undeclared identifier '_a'
> ./zebra.h:341:16: note: expanded from macro 'MIN'
> ({ typeof (a) _a = (a); \

Let's open an issue here as well.

> 4. Regarding the tcmalloc configure option: Where can I find some benchmark
> somewhere about the benefits of this feature ?

I've wondered myself about the actual usefulness of this.  I am not aware of any
benchmarks.  It's been fairly low on my list of things to do in my spare time.

donald