[dev] Integrating DLEP with FRR

Lou Berger lberger at labn.net
Mon Mar 5 14:55:59 EST 2018

DLEP can do a number of things and therefor be integrated in a few
different ways.  (FWIW I did a review of the draft version of 8175 for
the IETF routing directorate which lead me to doing some DLEP extensions.)

- It can provide reachability of neighbors (DLEP destinations) at the
MAC and IP level.

     IMO this can feed the arp/nd table, as well as zebra NH tracking

     This can also be used with a MAC or MANET-type routing protocol
(tracks reachability of net endpoints/stations) such as OLSR

- It can provide some metrics (rate, latency, MTU, etc) related to the
neighbor

- It can be used to provide igmp {*,G} state

- It can provide prefixes reachable via a DLEP destinations

     This can be used in place of a subnet routing protocol -- which I
personally don't think is generally the right answer.

- It can provide control plane based flow control

If interested in seeing code, see
     https://github.com/mit-ll/LL-DLEP
     https://github.com/OLSR/OONF
     https://github.com/ricktaylor/dlep_router

Susheela

Which of DLEPs functions are you looking to support? Are you working on
a routing protocol that will integrate with DLEP?

Thanks,
Lou